tiistai 2. kesäkuuta 2020

Something different: How I strip paint from old models

As every Oldhammerer knows every now and them there is a need to strip some models of their old paints. Wether you are not happy with some ancient work of yours, have aquired non-stripped models of eBay or just want to give your army a new look. I wanted to share my way of cleaning models because I felt this could help someone who´s wondering about how to it.

This is the solvent I use. Pensselipesu (litarally brush wash) by a Finnish company Tikkurila.

Not a very sharp picture but that´s the list of contains and dangers. So it contains
alcohol C9-11, ethoxylated. 15-30% non-ionic surfactants and <5% phosphates.
Causes serious eye damage etc.


Bought this chaps the other day and the imp faced guy got to bath first.

I sometimes use this small glass jar when stripping just a couple of minis at the time.
The beastman has now been in the for just over 24h and as you can see the paint
has started to come off.

That paint remover can irritate your skin so I use rubber glover when using it.
What I like about the stuff is that it is virtually odourless. So no problem using it inside.

Most of the paint comes right off when brushed gently.

Add some water and more brushing and it´s starting to look pretty good already.

For the worst parts this clipped down tooth brush with pretty stiff hair work miracles.


And here´s the final product drying on a piece of tissue. Even the plastic shield
survived this time. If kept too long in the medium they can turn soft and brittle.
For that reason I wouldn´t use it on plastic models. Or would try out first with something 
that is not irreplaceable.

This beastman and his fellows will eventually join the ranks on my Genestealer Cult army. 

2 kommenttia:

  1. My brother lives in Pori. Shame he flies over when he visits. A can of that may not go down too well in hand luggage.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Hi Ady! Hope you´ll find some way to get your hands on that stuff. It works miracles in stripping IMO.

      Poista